Although Windows Live Mail was decommissioned in 2016, instructions for adding email accounts are still available here for those who continue to use it. Additionally, instructions for using the Windows Mail application are included.
How to Configure Windows Live Mail to Accept Email Accounts
Create new accounts via the interface
- Click the blue Windows Live Mail button in the application’s top-left corner.
- From the menu that appears, choose Options and then Email accounts.
- Select the Add button when the Accounts dialog box appears.
- In the Add Account dialog box, select Email Account as the type of account to add to Windows Live Mail.
- Enter your email address and login information, as well as the option to change your Display name. If the computer is not shared, ensure that Remember this password is selected. To increase your privacy, uncheck this option or create multiple Windows user accounts.
- If you have more than one email account, select the Make this my default email account checkbox for the account you are adding.
Manual Configuration of the Server
To add an account that is not recognized, select Manually configure server settings and click Next. Include the information necessary to establish a connection to the email servers. After you’ve entered those settings, Windows Live should be able to successfully retrieve the emails.
Create a Mail Account in Windows Mail
Utilize the Windows Mail app on Windows 10. Additionally, if you sign in to your computer with a Microsoft account, that email address is already configured in the Mail app.
It’s simple to use the Mail app and add additional email accounts.
- In the lower-right corner of the taskbar, type mail and then select Mail App from the search results.
- If this is your first time using the Mail app, a welcome page appears. If this is the case, select Add Account and proceed to step 4. Also, if you’ve previously used the app, select Settings in the Mail window’s lower-left corner and then Manage Accounts.
- Click on Add Account.
- The window Add an Account appears. Select an email account type, such as Outlook, Google, or Yahoo.
- Enter the account’s sign-in information and click Next.
- Windows Mail verifies the information associated with your account. When the setup is complete, a confirmation screen appears.
Email Providers That Are Supported
As is the case with most applications, the types of servers and email providers that are supported are limited. Windows Live Mail is compatible with the majority of webmail clients, including Outlook.com, Gmail, and Yahoo! Mail.